Shock collar for small dogs is designed to prevent your dog from continuously barking or to make them stay at a place.
As a pet parent to a tiny dog, you must be looking for ways to control the persistent barking of your pup. You would have gone through many training techniques and efforts to eliminate excessive barking and if none of them worked, you are at the right place.
We have made a list of the best bark collars for small dogs that are sure to help you. But before we move to that section, let us walk through what you should look for while buying bark collars for small dogs.
Things to consider when buying shock collars for small dogs
With plenty of options available in the market, it is natural to get confused when looking for a shock collar for small dogs. We understand your concern and that’s why we are breaking this secret with you.
Size is an important aspect when buying bark collars for small dogs. Check for the neck sizes of the collar. Some dog collars have a weight limit quoted on them. Pay attention to that. Also, most collars fit dogs with necks of 8 inches & upward. So, it is essential that you get this part correct in order to avoid any expensive mistakes.
- Weight & Comfort:
The best bark collar for small dogs is the one that weighs 5oz while for medium-sized dogs, a weight of 15oz is considered ideal. You should also check the material of which the shock collar is built to avoid any skin irritation in your dog.
- Batteries & Runtime:
Does the collar you are looking at works with replaceable or rechargeable batteries? If yes, how much time does it take to get fully charged and what run-time does it offer. You need to find answers to these questions to make it easy for your budget and time.
- Dog’s temperament:
One of the most important factors to be considered when buying shock collars is your dog’s temperament. If he is of an aggressive breed like Pit bull, do not use shock collars. Instead, use direct training methods to build a stronger bond with him. And, if your dog behaves with a little more decorum, you should use ultrasonic devices as a substitute to shock collars.
Now that you are well-equipped with what to look for in a bark collar for small dogs, have a look at our pick of best shock collars.
A glance at best shock collars for small dogs
- Fully adjustable
- No remote control
- Long Battery life
- Humane training modes
- Battery warning indicator
Dog Rook Bark Collar:
- Ideal for pet with weight 10lbs to 110lbs
- Progressive correction through 6 levels
- Static shock to arrest even obstinate dogs
- Completely waterproof
- Works in your absence too
Dog Care Dog Training Collar:
- Pet weight- 15lbs to 100lbs
- Class-leading 99 levels of correction
- Trains up to 9 dogs simultaneously
- Multiple modes to vary correction
- Ideal for stubborn dogs
PetSafe Remote Spray Trainer:
- Pet weight- 8lbs and above
- Has human spray collection
- Gives a runtime of 40 hours
- Works well for correcting a wide range of behavior
- US-based customer care
Modus Anti-Barking device:
- No static shock
- Ultrasonic device
- Suited for all breeds and sizes of dogs
- Capable of delivering years of service
- Striking design
Additional: Types of bark collars for small dogs
Gotten familiar with the best collars available in the market? Let’s see the types of shock collars.
- Automatic Bark Collars: This bark collar automatically releases a beep or stimulus, such as vibration or sound when it senses barking.
- Training Collars: These remote-operated collars allow owners to send a vibration to control excessive barking.
- Shock Collars: This collar delivers a static shock like some kind of sound or vibration.
- Citronella Collars: A type of bark collar that releases an unpleasant Citronella spray correction around the dog’s muzzle.
Pros of shock collars for small dogs
- Most modern shock collars allow you to adjust the flexibility and intensity of shocks.
- Some pet owners state that it took just a few shocks to correct the behavior of their pets.
- Shock collars work fine even when you are not present nearby.
- A shock collar is a cheaper alternative to a professional dog trainer.
Supplementary: How does a shock collar work?
Shock collars were first used in the 1960s to train hunting dogs. But today, shock collars are used to control a variety of stubborn and unwanted behaviors in pet dogs, from excessive barking to food aggression as well as to train pups to stay close to the leash.
Many people mistook the shock administered by shock collars as harmful. However, this is not true. The shock released by the shock collars are mild and do not cause any long-lasting physical pain.
The shock collar has a varied level of intensity which can be used as per the behavior and temperament of the dog. When used as a barking deterrent, the collar responds to the vibration of the dog’s vocal cords, while when being used as a behavioral issue deterrent, the remote control allows you to administer the shock in conjunction with the unwanted behavior.
To wrap up
The ultimate purpose of shock collars for small dogs is to help your dog, be it from unnecessarily barking or to keep him away from harm. Remember, using a shock collar does not make you a bad parent but it is a part of training to keep your dog in control. To top that, you have the power to control the intensity of shocks which means you don’t have to stress.
Still not sure which shock collar is best for your dog? Schedule a call and get your doubts cleared.