Can dogs eat bananas? The simple answer to this is yes but there are certain other things that need to be kept in mind.
Bananas are the perfect go-to-snack for humans. They are sweet and provide energy to us. But what about dogs? Can dogs eat bananas? Unlike other fruits which might be toxic to your feline friend, bananas are safe to consume. However, you must know that any food apart from the usual diet of dogs should be provided to them in moderation.
Keep reading to find out more facts about dogs and bananas.
Do all dogs like bananas?
No, this might be true for all dogs. Similar to humans, dogs too have food preferences and bananas may not be on their “like” list. So, you can start with giving small pieces to them and watch their reaction.
Some dogs are allergic to bananas. So upon feeding, they can show symptoms like sneezing, coughing, itching, difficulty in breathing, or hives. In case of these symptoms, stop feeding them bananas and talk to your vet.
Is feeding a banana to dogs a good idea?
Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C. And sometimes, they are even considered as a healthy alternative to fatty, salty treats. High in fiber, this fruit can help dogs having gastrointestinal problems. Bananas also contain magnesium which is beneficial for bone growth and also helps the body in producing protein and absorbing vitamins.
Is banana safe for dogs?
Bananas contain natural sugar and you must know that too much sugar is not good for health. It can cause various diseases- one of which is weight gain. To avoid any kind of negative effects, you can follow the 90/10 rule which means 90% of your dog’s daily calories should come from his dog food, and treats should fill the rest 10%.
Some people think that bananas can cure the condition of diarrhea in dogs. However, this is not true. Instead of feeding more bananas to your dogs, you should monitor his food intake and reduce the amount to see what he can tolerate. And if the symptoms don’t resolve within 24 hours, consult a vet.
Read Also: The Best Dog Foods for Pitbulls
Can dogs eat banana peels?
Though banana peels are not toxic to dogs but you still need to stay cautious as peels are hard to digest and can cause a blockage. Even without the peel, feeding your dog too many bananas is not a good idea and can upset his stomach.
How to serve bananas to your dogs?
Consult your vet prior to feeding your dog bananas or any new food. Based on his age, size, and type, they can tell you the best serving size.
To serve your dog a banana, peel it & cut it in small sizes and offer the treat to your dog. If your dog is not fond of fresh bananas, you can give them frozen bananas. As per research, the different texture and temperature experience make animals believe that it’s a different kind of treat. You can also mash the banana and mix it in your dog’s food.